How to Stay Cool While Showing Homes in Hot Weather
The summer can be a particularly trying time for real estate agents. Not only are you busier than normal, but you’re also handling that bigger client load in not-so-ideal weather conditions.
Shuttling around town, running to and from showings, and getting in and out of cars can leave even the fittest of agents sweating and uncomfortable.
So what can you do? How can you stay cool, comfortable, and collected as you power through the busy summer season? More importantly, how can you keep your customers cool, too? Here are some tips:
- Get to the home early – If you’re showing a client a property, arrive 15 minutes early and turn on all ceiling fans in the house. Then, open each door to ensure air can flow freely. If the house is unoccupied, make sure to turn on the A/C, too.
- Keep a cooler of cold water bottles on hand – Each morning, pack a small cooler with ice and water bottles in your car. Give one to each client you meet up with, and put some on the counter of each home you show.
- Dress accordingly – Avoid thick pants, sweaters, or layers, and aim to dress as lightly as possible. Thin linen materials, light colors, skirts, appropriate length shorts, and polo shirts are all great options for summer attire.
- Park in the shade – Keep your car cool by parking in the shade whenever possible. Invest in a windshield shade as well, and if your windows aren’t tinted, consider getting it done.
- Eat light – Don’t overindulge in heavy or hot foods, as these can make you feel sluggish and warm. Stick to cool, light foods like salads, wraps, fruit, and fresh veggies to give yourself the energy you need to get through the day.
- Pack a portable fan – In the event you get to a property without ceiling fans or a working A/C unit, you need to have some options available. Buy a small portable fan, and store it in your trunk just in case. You can also open windows to let the breeze flow through the home — as long as it’s not too humid outside.
There’s nothing worse than feeling hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable as you meet with clients, so take time now to prepare — before the weather heats up too much. And when your clients are ready to buy? Send them our way. An Embrace loan officer will take care of them from start to finish.